Many people have come and gone in the Town of Fenton and each one made contributions. This will be a work in progress of thumbnail sketches of those people who were part of our history. As always, I welcome information and photos to add to this collection.
|These photos were in the family photographs of the Betty Chubbuck family.We thank Mrs. Chubbuck and her daughters Pat Chubbuck and Linda Brooks for giving us permission to reproduce them.
William Pangburn, Civil War Veteran and Lillian Pangburn Fuller's Dad. Glenn Fuller (Betty's Dad) and grandson Bobby Weber
Glenn Fuller delivering cookies for the Wee Blew Inn. Betty Fuller Chubbuck
Right Bertha Bunnell & Bobby Weber
|Susan Fuller (Betty's sister) boarding the Blue Motor Coach Line to get to school 1934.
Students went to North High School on Frederick Street in Binghamton. Blue Line serviced
Sunrise Terrace, Nimmonsburg, Broome Co. Home, Chenango Bridge, and Port Crane.
The Gould's ran the Blue Line.
Teddy's Inn. From Canal days through the 1930's traveler's were able to get
something to eat and drink along the Canal and later along Route 369 in Port Crane.
Bus loads of people came to Port Crane to Teddy's Inn to Polka and Square Dance for many years.
This building later became a skating rink for a short time. In later years, Teddy's Inn was located
across the street and was later torn down to make way for Daniel's Construction Equipment sales.
L-R Donald and Esther Friedel at their wedding. Beatrice Spencer and Lillian Fuller (Betty's) mother in doorway. Bob Nicolai
L-R: Roger Friedel, Ernest Youngs and Dean Youngs with his dad.
Fuller daughters L-R: Betty, Susan, Doris. About 1932.
Back Row L-R: Hattie Schermerhorn, Edith Berray, Clara Cherry, Florence Rines, Bea Luchan, Lissa Youmans.
Front Row L-R: Rose Bogart, Lillian Fuller, Mary Winchell, Pauline Cote, Laverne Russell June 1954 Pocahontas Play at the Day of Pocohontas Convention in Binghamton, NY This was the women's part of the Improved Order of Red Men.
Hank Weber, George Harrison Carroll, Anna Carroll Pangburn & Mrs. George Carroll.
Doris (Fuller) Weber and son Bob. Doris is Betty Chubbuck's sister and Hank Weber's wife.
This old school house on Pine Street in Port Crane was also used as a temporary home for
First Baptist Church in the 1860's. Later the home was converted into a charming residence.
Students were so happy to move into the new school with a furnace and indoor plumbing.
This room is now used for Town of Fenton Court. The seating presently used in the Court
Room was received from St. Francis (formerly St. Catherines) church in Hillcrest.
The way Canal Street in Port Crane looked in the early 1900's. The big house on the left is the
Chubbuck home, formerly the Fuller residence. This home was purchased from Lucy
Terwilliger VanAmberg by the Fullers. Mrs. Chubbuck has lived in this home since 1902 (90 years).
Above: Port Crane.....The Way it Was. The home above and on the left was torn down to make room for Discount Petroleum.
Original paintings done by Anna Carroll Pangburn in 1891 for the Red Men's Hall which stood
at the current site of Apex on the corner of Albany Street and Canal St. The Improved Order
of Red Men still exists and the Library and Museum website can be seen at:
|Please scroll down for photos
In March of 1928 Anthony Stephen Janicki II purchased acreage on Rt. 7 in Port Crane, Town of Fenton. As a recent scholar from Cornell, he moved from Brooklyn, NY to Route 7 Port Crane (midway between Port Crane and Sanitaria Springs) to begin a poultry ranch called the Honoria Poultry Farm. Mr. Janicki built range coops for free range chickens and a large hen house. He renovated a barn to house chickens, which he also used in later years for cows and in the 1950's for sheep. A brooder house was built across Rt. 7 from the house to incubate and hatch 30, 000 White Leghorn chicks at a time which he sold throughout the Delmarva Peninsula and other eastern and mid-western states. (Sorry for the condition of the brochure below.) Mr. Janicki was also an experienced beekeeper and sold much honey from his apiary. For several years he raised Silver Fox for the fur trade. With the help of his faithful and loving wife, Ruth, Steve ran a very successful business.
During the 1940's he had 8,500 laying hens and 1,500 breeding hens. The Honoria Poultry Farm was the largest producer of chicks in the northeast. With the best laying hens, he supplied eggs to local hospitals, stores, and sold eggs from his farm. In November of 1940, fire destroyed two major hen houses causing $20,000 in damages. Mr. Janicki rebuilt and continued the poultry business until the death of his oldest daughter, Marjorie Anne, in a tragic auto accident in November of 1951. The Janicki's have four remaining children, three daughters and a son. His son ran the sheep farm for several of his teen aged years.
In the 1960's, Mr. Janicki reorganized and began the White Feather Poultry farm. He was one of the first poultry producers to begin using the caged method of housing chickens. He supplied eggs to the triple cities area until the late 1970's when poor health necessitated his retirement. During that time the Janicki's also ran a successful Christmas tree farm.
Major construction of Interstate 88 occurred between 1974 and 1980. The Interstate changed the landscape forever, but gave a safer, direct route from Binghamton to Albany. http://www.interstate-guide.com/i-088_east.html
Before work could begin on the property owned by Mr. Janicki, a very old cemetery had to be removed. Some of the graves were moved to the Port Crane Cemetery. The history of this relocation is kept in the Historian's office at the Fenton Town Hall.
As of this writing, the farmhouse is abandoned and fallen into disrepair. The home next door, west of the farmhouse was built by and belonged to Mr. Janicki's father and mother, Anthony S. and Minnie Janicki. The brooder house across Route 7 is now (2016) an automotive shop.
Continue scrolling for photos.
Then - About 1930's & 40's
Chickens and range coops.
The same piece of property Now - Photo March 2016
| A man and woman with a dream. Anthony Stephen Janicki about 1930 Ruth June (Snyder) Janicki about 1930
Photo taken 1946. Marjorie Anne was killed in 1951.
Hen house destroyed by fire and rebuilt the following year.
The dairy barn was renovated to accommodate laying hens.Another section with hens on the range-presently I-
Mr. Janicki with his bee hives
Janicki Children about 1942. Keep scrolling down for brochure.
December 2, 1856.
The following information was copied from Robert L. Bridges, Town of Chenango Historian, Ruth Keeler Lawrence, Deputy Historian, Town of Chenango and Pauline E. Stephens, Deputy Historian, Town of Chenango.
The following pages of this "Hi-Lites" relive a man, Newton F. Everett, his family and friends. He was a son of a good farmer then on to a teacher of a one room school house. He had trials and tribulations at Skiff Mt., Cornwall Bridge, Sharon in Connecticut and finally on to live in Chenango Bridge and trade and work in the Port Crane, Binghamton area. He left behind family and friends never once complaining of the hardships to follow.
In 1853 Newton came to New York State, into an almost barren land, where they were still clearing land for pastures. He tried different farm lands, nothing suited him. Then he put his roots down and settled in the Town of Chenango area for over 40 years. Here he raised a family and worked for a living withstanding many hardships. This area did have a general store, mills (saw and grist) and 3 fordways. There was one fordway especially, the one in Port Crane where the general store and churches were, that was much more to his liking. He crossed the Chenango River in a boat, carriage, wagon or by a sleigh on ice. Not before 1856 did the R.R. come to Chenango Bridge. The Chenango canal lasted until 1876 before it was abandoned. At Port Crane he could get the cars to Pittsfield, Mass. or Cornwall Bridge.
At the depot in Chenango Bridge, he could get the cars to Binghamton, Syracuse and Utica. Many times for his health he walked to Binghamton, 4 miles and then took the cars back home. He went to the Post Office from the first time the doors opened until a few days before his death.
His wife, Mary Dutcher Everett was sick a good share of her life. Not once did he stop loving her, though he sent her away to family to get well. He would do all the household chores as well as the chores on the farm.
Near the end of his life, Newton ran for public office. Whatever office he held, he was good at it. He became active in the business of loaning money and was very strict on those who tried to cheat him. He even managed estates for people the last few weeks of is life. He was dying at the time he took the cars to Binghamton to settle money matters.
During the last years, he was so disgusted with the type of farm help he had to put up with. He tried to keep working it but the farm slowly became run down. Everett had a name for every cow, sheep, pig and horse on his farm.
He wrote in his diary, "Am very weak." He died at 11:30 P.M. on April 7, 1905. His daughter wrote in the diary, "Father passed away 11:30 P.M., this ended his diaries. So ended 57 years of giving the weather, births, deaths, marriages and events. He became (unknown to him), as the first Historian of Chenango Bridge, Town of Chenango, Broome County, New York and Town of Fenton, Broome County also."
Newton Everett was teaching school recorded Nov. 19, 1850, Tuesday in Sharon. He had to start the fire for school. He taught school in 1851 in Cornwall Bridge. 1853 Newton tells about a traveling shoemaker who had a box which he would back up to ones porch, place the box on the porch. Then at the Farm House he would mend or make shoes and boots, staying nights at the farm. The farmers wife would feed and board him while he was there. Mr. Chambers was his name.
Newton, born Sept. 25, 1832, became a man, age 21, Sept. 26, 1853. He died in 1905. He started his diaries when he was about 16 years old, wrote in them until his death at 73 years of age (1905). Nov. 6, 1853 he talks about happenings in Broome County, N. Y. He told about taking wood to Mr. Langdon's fanning mill. (Separating chaff from the oats.) This was used before thrashing machines were invented. Oats were cut in the field with a cradle, put in bundles, taken to the barn floor and flailed to get oats off straw stems. Oats were gathered up and fed to farm stock. Dorothy Taft Johnson's father, Floyd Taft had a fanning mill and was very proud of it.
- 1876 map shows Newton's property in Chenango Bridge. In 1853 Newton talks of his love for a Mary. They were married January 24, 1855.
- Newton would cross the Chenango River at Fordway near 1100 River Road. (Avalon St. last road to river). Slater lives on Harding Lane farm 784. Funerals and church services were oft times held in the one room school house.
- May 24, 1855 - Newton and wife Mary went over to Port Crane by boat rowed by a friend names Moses Stanley to see the canal boats, but none passed while they were there.
- May 29, 1855 - Newton, wife Mary, Rodney and Sarah, rowed to Port Crane, had pleasant time, went to Menagerie and Circus to be weighed.
- 1855, Nov. 14 - Went to Town Superintendent Wm. Crosby and was examined to teach school.
- 1855, Dec. 3-Commenced school without any wood, 31 scholars, hope I have no trouble.
- 1855, Dec. 4-Had 22 scholars, Father brought load of wood, at noon. Went over to
- Van Names store in boat.
- 1855 Dec. 11- 2 new scholars, making 30, had cold schoolhouse, poor stove.
- 1855 Dec. 25- Did not teach, found candy in my boat, butchered hog, weighed 300 lbs., killed our cow, took 1/4 to Port Crane to Abram Silvernail. Weighed 100 lb. at 5 cents a pound.
- 1855 Dec. 31-River froze over. Walked to Port Crane to get paid for beef, but didn't get a cent, got a candle box. End of year has been bountifully blessed by our Heavenly Father, our lives and our friends lives have been spared - will look back on.
- 1880 Dec. 30-Newton talks about Laura is 18 today. She was born Dec. 30, 1862. (assume she is his daughter). Also had daughter Alice and son Edward.
- 1880 March 4-Pres. Garfield inaugurated today.
- 1880 April 21-A powder mill in Binghamton exploded, there was a lot of damage.
- 1880 July 2- Pres. Garfield shot today. Do not know if he is living.
- 1880 Aug. 26-Pres. Garfield very low, shot by Frenchman Getteau.
- 1880 Sept. 26 Pres. Garfields funeral today. Newton turned 49 today.
- 1882 Jan 26-About 12 teams drawing ice, and Newton thinks he will charge next year. It is such a bother. Jurors brought in a verdict of murder in Guiteau trial, that has been going on for 10 weeks.
- 1882 Feb 2- Son Edward went to Bgtn to see Buffalo Bill and his Indian Troupe.
- 1882 Mar 8-Son Edward went to Port Crane for pound patry for widow Andrews.
- 1854 Mar 20-Juliia and Newton Braided a husk mat. (Julia is his sister).
- 1855 May 1-They let water out of Canal (Chenango) and cleaned it and let water back in so boats will start soon. Where I work is in sight of Port Crane.
- 1855 May 24-He would butcher a calf or cow and take the meat to Port Crane and sell the meat.
- Newton Everett married Mary Dutcher. approx year 1855. Son Eddie Newton born Dec 2, 1856.
- Dec. 31, 1865 - Newton went to Youngs (we assume store in Port Crane) to get goose for Christmas. He gave 3 pecks of apples for it. Newton writes in May 24, 1871. A job and family moved to Port Crane into Jerome Shaw's house.
- 1870, Feb 14-A Captain LaFayette Cross was killed on R.R. at Port Crane, NY.
- He (Newton) talks about going to Division meetings in Port Crane and also Chenango Bridge.
- 1875 Feb. 3-There is a steam sawmill at Port Crane. ...earns? $3 per day. Mrs. John Shaw died Feb. 1, 1875. Sept. 16, 1875 his blacksmith work is done.
- 1879 Sept. 28 - Temperance Mass meeting at Baptist Church in Port Crane. Speakers were, Elder Perkins, Geo. Sherwood, Eccles Robinson.
- 1879 Oct. 8-Wm Carman of Port Crane came to work a night for $5. The woods around here on fire many places.
- 1879 Aug. - Newton tells of having a house built, paying men to put in windows, doors, blinds, smaller chimney laid and son Edward going to L. L. Brooks in Maine, NY for shingles, made of shaved hemlock.
Below is just a brief overview of some of the information.
The Prentice Farm is a large brown-grey home located the 2nd on the right when entering Hillcrest from the north access road. The use of photographs stirs the imagination to think back on a time when life moved slower and the sound of a horse's hooves on the street made children run to the door to wave or say hello to the delivery man. Few of us remember calling to our Mother, "The milkman is here." There would be bottles of fresh milk on the porch. Do you remember the "Tasty Eats Man". We'll get into that another time. Mr. Gross with his Tasty Eats.
The Prentice House (Below in 1908). Edwin Elias Shaw (1865-1958) and two of his children are on the porch: Edith Amanda Shaw (1905-1981) & Harry Lewis Hamilton Shaw (1898 - 1977). Edwin was visiting his Aunt Catherine Darling Prentice, widow of Luther Prentice.
Moses Prentice (1822-1896) Son of Elias Prentice and Olive Edwards
and his wife Ann VanAntwerpt (1827-1881).
Left: George R. Prentice (1853-1929) Son of Moses Prentice and his wife Ann (VanAntwerp) Prentice
Right: Estella (Prentice) Prentice 1855 -1881 (Sister of George) Daughter of Moses and Ann
and First wife of Jesse A. Prentice. Estella and Jesse had a son Henry Nelson.
Left: Julia Ann Prentice (1837 - 1875) Photo: Circa 1872 Daughter of Elias Prentice and wife of John Shaw (1838-1878) no photo.
Right: Children of Julia Ann Prentice and John Shaw. L to R: Florence Shaw (1863-1949),
Edwin Elias (1865-1958), Lewis Shaw (1867-1957)
Left Below: Edwin Elias Shaw (1865-1958) Photo taken 1891. Center child in photo above.
Right: Ethel Youngs and Eva (Evelyn) Myra Harper Shaw (1874-1946). Post card photo.
See below for more information and photo of back of card.
Ethel Youngs was a professional photographer and as you can read, she was skilled at making photo
Post Cards. This is the back side of the photo card above. Mr. Simon explained the Florence mentioned
in the postcard was his grandmother, Florence Gertrude Shaw Simon (1891-1977). Dell was a nickname for Rosecelia Delephine Carman Harper.
Below: Henry Nelson Prentice (1881-1962). Photo taken in 1938. Henry Prentice was Postmaster of Chenango Forks. He was the son of Estella J. Prentice and Jesse A. Prentice. Their photos above.
Left Below: May Prentice (1858-1884) dau. of Joseph Prentice holding Henry Nelson Prentice as a child.
Right Below: Evelyn Myra Harper Shaw (1874-1946) Wife of Edwin Elis Shaw 1891, son of Julia Ann and John Shaw. Photo above. Evelyn was daughter of Alexander Hamilton Harper and Rosecelia
Delphone Carman Harper.
Left Below: Benajah Prentice (1834-1904) Son of Eli Prentice and Rachel Stanley
Right Below: Eliza Harriet Shaw Prentice (1854-1942) dau of Peter Shaw and Mary Drake Wife of Benajah Prentice. No Children.
Below Left: Shaw House in 1908. Located on Crocker Hill Road just over railroad tracks on left going up the hill. This is where John Shaw and his wife Julia Ann (Prentice) Shaw lived. Stephen Eric Simon who graciously sent these photos states that his great grandfather Edwin Elias Shaw was born here in 1865.
Below Right: Photo of home taken in 1940.