close menu
This website uses cookies to store your accessibility preferences. No personal / identifying information is stored. More info.

Building Inspector

Matt Banks, Building Inspector

Phone: 607-343-6264   (mobile)
Phone: 607-648-4800 ext. 101

Cheryl Mammano, Administrative Assistant
Phone: (607) 648-4800  ext. 107

Office Hours - Tuesday  :  1:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Thursday  :  1:00 PM - 4:00 PM
All others by appointment.

Permit Applications

The Town of Fenton has adopted zoning regulations that define uses for various areas of the town. Maps and specific information can be obtained from the Engineering office.

Most building/construction projects require building permits to be issued before starting.
The Town of Fenton has adopted the New York State Building Codes available from the  New York State Division of Code Enforcement and Administration.  Also the Town of Fenton Code is available on our website.

Building Inspector's Office

The permit applications are available to download at your home or office. Please follow the included checklist to ensure a smooth process. Copies of the forms are also available at the Town Hall.

Please leave yourself plenty of lead time on projects. During the busy season, May-November give yourself at least 2 weeks to obtain your permit. It is impossible to issue a permit when you drop off your application. A site visit of your property must be done, as well as look over your plans to check for compliance with the building code. Plan ahead.

Some of the projects that require a permit are: new homes, additions, inside remodeling, kitchen and bath remodeling, swimming pools, decks, sheds, wood stoves, pellet stoves.

If you don't see your project listed above, please call so we can discuss your building plans to avoid possible problems in the future.
I will help in any way possible to ensure that your project comes out safe and compliant with code.

Matt Banks 607-648-4800 ext. 101 or 607-343-6264 (cell)

The 2020 Residential Code of New York State defines a swimming pool as "any structure, basin, chamber or tank which is intended for swimming, diving, recreational bathing or wading and which contains, is designed to contain, or is capable of containing water more than 24 inches (610 mm) deep at any point. This includes in-ground and on-ground pools, indoor pools, hot tubs, spas and wading pools." If your swimming pool meets the above criteria, a building permit is required prior to installation.

Building Permits
(click "Permit Applications" above to view or print specific project permit forms)

Permit Costs:

DECKS $50.00                            HOMES $.08 sq. ft.
ADDITIONS $.08 sq. ft./$50.00     POOLS $50.00
GARAGES $.08 sq. ft./$50.00     GARDEN SHEDS $50.00
RENOVATIONS $.08 sq. ft./$50.00     WOOD STOVE $50.00
GAS LOG FIREPLACE $.08 sq. ft./$50.00                       PELLET STOVE $50.00

OWBF (Outdoor Wood Burning Furnaces)               $50.00
The Building Inspector’s office is here to assist you as well as protect the home owner.  There have  been several occasions where a home owner started without a permit and the contractor performed substandard work.  These people not only paid the first contractor, but had to pay for the work to be taken out and start from scratch.


“Use permits” are required any time a commercial space changes its use or business.  Examples:  a building houses a coffee shop, they move out and you want to open up a new business.

ALL commercial business as well as places of public assembly, will have Fire Inspections performed as required.
Thank you for your cooperation.



With the cool weather nearly upon us I would like to remind you of a deadly killer that is produced in our homes.

Carbon Monoxide 

This deadly gas is responsible for 500 deaths each year and 15,200 hospital  emergency room visits.  It is an odorless, colorless toxic gas you won't even know it is being produced in your home. 

A carbon monoxide detector will help protect your family. This deadly gas is produced by many things in your home such as gas stoves, gas or oil hot water heaters, gas fire places, wood stoves or fire places, pellet stoves, coal stoves, gas dryers, kerosene heaters, and oil and gas furnaces and boilers, attached garages just to name a few. 

The detectors should be on every floor of your home.

Have a technician check your homes appliances to insure they are not producing (CO)

For more information Google search Carbon Monoxide.