Town Courts

Presiding Justice:  Ambrose P. Madden             Court Clerk:  Melissa Lalley

Mailing Address:  44 Park Street, Port Crane, NY 13833


Phone: 607-648-4800 Ext. 108
Fax: 607-648-4366 


From Binghamton/Endicott/Owego area heading east:

Take I-88 E/ NY Route 7; take Exit 3, left on Route 369 at traffic light, turn right onto Park Street (directly past Lindsey’s Lawn Care).  Town Hall is located at the end of Park Street.  Entrance is through the main double doors.

From Harpursville/Albany area heading west:

Take I-88 W; take Exit 3, turn left on Route 369, pass under underpass and take immediate left on Park Street.

Town Hall is located at the end of Park Street.  Entrance is through the main double doors.


When are the Court Sessions held? 

Court is in session on Thursday commencing at 9:00am.  The first Wednesday of every month is set aside for scheduled pre trials (misdemeanors) and non-jury trials (violations). Please see additional information under evictions and small claims proceedings.

What are your office hours? 

Monday - Friday    8:00am – Noon*

*Office hours are often extended.  You may leave a telephone message at any time.  If no one is in the justice office at the time of your call, you may leave a message and your call will be returned.  Messages are checked on a daily basis.  A locked drop box is located to the left of the justice office.  You may leave a plea or payment.  If you wish to be provided with a receipt, you must leave a self addressed stamped envelope.  The drop box may also be accessed at the outside rear of the building.

How do I file a small claim and how much is the filing fee? 

Small Claims can be filed with the Court Clerk.   The party you are filing against must live, work or have a place of business in the Town of Fenton and receive their mail in the Town of Fenton. You must provide the court with an exact mailing address. Post office boxes are not acceptable.  The maximum amount to claim is $3000.00.  If the amount exceeds $3,000.00 you may file in city court.  For claims up to $1000.00, the filing fee is $10.00.  For claims over $1000.00 the filing fee is $15.00.  It is recommended that you call ahead to make an appointment to file the paperwork.  For more information you may pick up a booklet on small claims at the court office.

Is there an alternative to filing a Small Claim?

Yes.  You can contact ACCORD (A Center for Dispute Resolution, Inc.).  This is a mediator service, which is free. In Broome County you can call 607-724-5153.  Email at In Tioga County call 607-687-8222. Email at

All links will open in a new tab or window.

You may also view the New York State Guide to Small Claims Court by clicking on the link below:

Eviction Proceedings 

Evictions are heard on Thursday mornings. Please call the court to confirm specific date and time.  The filing fee is $20.00.

Homes & Evictions

How do I answer my traffic ticket? 

It is the obligation of the receiving motorist to respond to the ticket.  Upon receiving the charge(s) you must either appear on the date listed on the bottom of the ticket or you may sign the ticket according to the written instructions, indicating your plea of either guilty or not guilty and mail it to the court.   Upon a plea of guilty, a fine and surcharge will be assessed and you will be notified by mail of the amount due.  Upon a plea of not guilty, you will be sent further information on how to proceed.   


A supporting deposition or more detailed account of the incident may be requested if you did not receive one when the ticket(s) were issued.

Note:  Be sure to review ALL information printed on your ticket(s).  To plead guilty, complete and sign Part A of your ticket; to plead not guilty, complete and sign Part B of your ticket.

I'd like to speak with someone regarding a reduction or plea bargain.

If you are charged with a traffic violation and before any plea bargains are accepted, you must first enter a plea of not guilty by appearing for arraignment before the judge or by completing Part B on the traffic ticket(s) you were issued.  You may mail or drop the signed ticket(s) to the court office.  Once a plea of not guilty has been entered with the court, you would receive further information with regard to plea bargaining.

What if I missed a court date?

Call the court or your attorney immediately.  You may be subject to a license suspension or a warrant could be issued for your arrest.

How do I contact New York State DMV?

1-800-CALLDMV - available within NY State  


My license is suspended or is going to be suspended.  What do I do?

Depending on the reason for your suspension, you must either pay the fine/surcharge due or appear in court.  If your license is suspended, and the effective date is July 5, 2009 or before, you will be required to pay a Suspension Termination Fee of $35.00 per suspension.  Suspensions that go into effect on or after July 6, 2009, suspended drivers must pay $70.00. The Notice of Suspension from NYS DMV will give further information regarding this fee, or you can go to their website  Submit your identified payment as outlined in the next question along with a self-addressed stamped envelope.  Send the Notice of License Suspension Order for endorsement.   Call the court clerk if you do not know the total amount due or for information on scheduling a new court date.

What is the Driver's Responsibility Act (DRA) and do I have to pay that fee?

Go to NYS Department of Motor Vehicles' website for a clearer explanation of that fee.  Or call 518-402-2851.  Yes, you must pay that according to the instructions you received or outlined on that site.  It is a separate fee imposed by NYSDMV and is apart from the fine/surcharge you must pay to the court.

How do I make a payment?

Payments may be made by US Postal Service, in person or by leaving it in the Town of Fenton Court locked drop box.  Cash, money order, or a certified bank check made payable to the Town of Fenton Court are accepted.  Be sure to include a case number, ticket number, or name for proper posting.  Include a self-addressed stamp envelope with your payment if you desire a receipt.  Credit card payments are also accepted using VISA or Mastercard - Call the court during normal business hours for instructions.

I lost my fine notice; how can I pay by credit card now?

You can print out the form by clicking below.  Be sure you verify the amount due by calling and speaking with the court clerk.  If your license is suspended, you may also owe the Suspension Termination Fee and verification by the court clerk will ascertain the total amount due.  Credit card authorization payments with the incorrect amount will NOT be processed.

Credit Card Authorization

Send to the address listed on the top of this page, or you may fax the form if you wish.  If you want your receipt, send a self-addressed stamped envelope with your payment. 

Broome County District Attorney’s Office

If you wish to contact the District Attorney’s Office they may be reached by mail:

Broome County District Attorney’s Office
Post Office Box 1766  45 Hawley Street, 4th Floor
Binghamton, NY 13902

Or by phone:  607-778-2198

Do I need a lawyer to appear in court with me?

Although you are not required to have an attorney it is not recommended that you proceed to trial without the aid of counsel.  

How do I obtain representation by the Public Defender?

Call the Broome County Public Defender’s Office at 607-778-2403 for further questions or to make an appointment for a qualifying interview.  You are required to notify the court of your scheduled appointment. 

Office is located at:  45 Hawley Street, 6th Floor, Binghamton, NY 


Town of Fenton Justice Court

Town of Fenton Justice Court has once again received a Justice Court Grant Award for $6,618.54.  The award will be used to enhance security and update and organize the court records room.  This award again reflects an annual grant application process that is submitted each year through the Office of Court Administration.

As usual, the court has maintained a busy schedule, not only with the adjudication of justice, keeping up with many new updates and laws, writing decisions, hearing cases, scheduling conferences and trials but also attending the very important training and magistrate meetings.  With these changes and updates, our local courts will be affected.

In 2014, Town of Fenton Court handled well over 1600 cases which included Vehicle and Traffic, Penal Law, Town Ordinances, Civil Matters, Public Health Law, ECON Law, DNA, Warrants, Violations, Tickets and more.

Parking Tickets in the Town of Fenton are handled by the courts.  If you have received one or have any outstanding parking tickets, they can be handled and processed through the court office.

Unlicensed dogs are handled by the court.  Please license your dog in a timely manner to avoid a visit to the local court.

Weddings are available to be performed by the Town Justice.  Please contact the court as soon as a date is selected, to ensure the Justice is available for your date.

We welcome your comments, suggesions and experiences with the court.  Please feel free to contact the court at any time.  Again we thank all of our residents for placing their trust in us to serve.

The Court staff continues thair annual certifications and meetings to keep up to date with the ever changing laws and issues that face the court daily.

Mission Statement:  To adjudicate Justice for all, to the very best of our ability.  To maintain our certifications and attend all trainings, so we may become the very best we can, while serving the residents of our town. 

 Hon. Ambrose P. Madden

Melissa Lalley, Clerk

Town of Fenton Court Hours:

Office Hours:   Mon. - Fri.    8 a.m. to Noon

Court: Thurs. 9 a.m.


Assist. District Attorney:   First Wed. Of Month

Jury Trials: scheduled as needed.


Town of Fenton Court Drop Box located at end of hall with outside access located at rear of building.

Page Updated January 9, 2018 bg